"Graphic novels? I think it is a novel idea."
"A picture is worth a thousand words."
Bad puns and cliches apart, we invite you to discuss a world of alternative literature where fantasies, grim realities, social issues, histories and mythologies are dealt with in vivid imagination and details.
"So what makes a novel graphic? It's illustrated yes but so are comics..."
"Not so fast my friend. There is a line of actual control that separates comics from the land of graphic novels although the line is breached at times with a certain East Asian impunity."
If it's still murky, here's what will not be included in our session.
1. Calvin and Hobbes, Tintin, Asterisk and by extension the likes of Chacha Chaudhary, Mandrake and Phantom
2. Mangas - They form a separate universe altogether and in the interest of time, we are excluding this subculture
3. Much of Marvel and DC - it belongs in the graphic-comic buffer zone and the volume of works is large
Anything that stands out can be discussed like Watchmen for instance.
Some suggested reads:
* A Fun Home
* When the wind blows
And a free guide :)
About the Community:
Dialogues with Books, our close-knit community of book-lovers meets on the second Sunday of every month to share their love for books and all things literature. Discussions range from region-specific topics like Latin American literature and Russian literature to forms like short-stories and comic books.
Whether you are on the first page of your story as a reader or a seasoned bibliophile, join our coterie of book-lovers and delve into new worlds every month.
Theme: Graphic Novels
Host: Ananth Harihar
- This is a LIVE interactive session
- Download Google Meet App if logging in through phone.
- For best experience join the workshop from your laptop / desktop or watch on phone on landscape mode.
- Ensure your internet connectivity is strong.
- Do login 10 minutes prior to the workshop. This would help us work out any technical difficulties so we can start the session on time.
- If you are unable to attend the live session due to technical reasons, please call us (+91-6361358825)
- This is a closed event. Only registered email ids will be allowed to join the session.
Please note that you will receive the link of the session via Google Calendar Invite 1 hour prior to the session. If, for some reason, you fail to receive the email please get in touch with us on [email protected] or call us on +916361358825 and we will send the invite to you again.